Experiencing signs that you may need car aircon service?
Experiencing car aircon problems? Has your car aircon started becoming not cold enough? Air conditioning is essential given Singapore’s hot weather; anyone driving with a non-working ac would have known what it feels like to have to sweat buckets while trying to stay focused in the city driving conditions.
Common causes of car aircon issues
One of the most common causes of car aircon problems is that some refrigerant has escaped from the system. The compressor may also not operate in this situation of low refrigerant, as the low pressure prevents the clutch of the compressor from operating. This serves as a protection for the compressor, as the refrigerant also sometimes acts as a lubricant for the system. As such, when it is lacking, the system may not be adequately lubricated to function. As a preventive measure, it is good to regularly get car aircon service.
Checks carried out
During car aircon service, the following key checks are carried out:
- Functioning of the valves and thermostats
- Leak checks using a leak detector
- Drive belt tension and proper working of pulleys
- Top up of the aircon refrigerant/ gas and lubricant (if required)
Optionally, you can also request to include a process for cleaning up bacteria in your aircon system
If we should detect any issues with the aircon components during the servicing, we would also advise you of the issue and give you a quote on the repair cost.
Frequency of car aircon refrigerant top-up
Just from day to day normal use, part of the aircon refrigerant/ gas will escape into the environment. As such, after about 2 years or so, the aircon may go from being cold to only cool.
Regular car aircon servicing would allow for the leaked refrigerant to be topped up, along with any lubricant needed. would ensure a smooth running of your air conditioning system and keep you cool in this tropical climate.
Have questions on our service?
Experiencing signs that you may need car aircon repair?
Causes of car aircon issues
- Obstruction to airflow. One of the issues that can cause the car aircon to have weak airflow is where there is obstruction in the airflow itself. This can be caused by the accumulation of mould in the evaporator core, hence causing a blockage of the airflow to your air vents and hence your car interior.
- Connecting hose has come loose. It could also be that a connecting hose for the aircon system has gone loose. If the connecting hose from the blower to your air vents has come loose, then the blower would not be able to do its job properly to circulate the air within your car interior.
- Car aircon blower is not working. If the blower is not functioning, then it would not be able to circulate the cold air into the car interior. This could be caused by a blown fuse or melted relay, which then effectively cuts off the electrical currents needed to power the blower.
- Car aircon compressor is not working. It could be that the refrigerant level is too low so the compressor does not turn on, as there is not enough pressure and the cut off switch is then triggered. Other causes include that the compressor clutch is not engaging, or that the compressor is blocked up.
- Car condenser faulty
Checks carried out
Our skilled mechanics would be able to check for the cause of your car aircon problems and get your car aircon fixed:
- In the event that the cause of the problem is that there is blockage from contamination, we would check where this is and determine if this could be cleared with a flush.
- If there are connecting points that had come loose, we would check if the connections can just be tightened up or that there are rubber connecting points that have deteriorated and need replacement.
- In the event the blower has malfunctioned, if for instance, the fan is not moving and we found that it is the relay that is not working, we would advice you on the cost of the replacement before proceeding to change this for you.
Car aircon compressor repair
One of the issues that car owners may experience, particularly if they own their cars for more than 5 years is that there could be car aircon compressor failures. There are various causes:
- If it is merely that the compressor is not engaging because the refrigerant pressure is too low, we would easily top up the refrigerant level.
- There could also be other problems that crop up, such as the magnetic clutch engagements having faulty electrical issues.
- It could also be that the aircon system has been contaminated with gunk and needs to be flushed to remove blockages.
If the compressor is badly contaminated, and the design of the particular model is that the narrow passageways make it difficult to fully flush, it may be necessary to replace the compressor, to prevent a failure and dislodge of debris that can also damage the condensor.
The repair of car aircon compressor is typically from $180 onwards, depending on extent of repair needed as well as car make and model.
Have questions on our service?
After my free servicing period for my car, I thought it was time to look out for better priced alternatives. I gave ECV Car Service Singapore a call and tried out their service. It was a hassle free experience and good value. - Kenneth Chin, Buona Vista
I had a tire leak caused by a puncture after driving over some construction debris. ECV Car Service Singapore could fix this up for me so I don't need to spend on a new tire. Friendly workshop! - Mr K.T. Liew, Redhill
My car aircon was not functioning and I was not sure what the cause was. I initially brought my car to the dealer workshop and was told the compressor is down. But the price quoted for the compressor replacement was so high. I then gave ECV Car Service Singapore a call, and the price turned out to be much lower, and quality of service good. Thumbs up! - Joel Tan, Bukit Batok
At the heart of our service is to build a trusted relationship with you. When you send your car for car servicing, maintenance and repairs with us, you are assured your car is in good hands.
Our mechanics are experienced, with care for detail. We seek to delight you always, with the quality of our workmanship and good value for our services.
To ensure a fuss free cooling drive, regularly service your car aircon with us, and let us check the proper workings of the valves, pulleys and also top up the refrigerant if needed. You could also let us know if you would like to carry out this service during your routine car service with us. Our friendly mechanics are looking forward to being of service to you, for your car servicing, maintenance and repair needs. Also, we would always only proceed after you have received a quote from us and given us the go ahead accordingly. We seek to build up a long term, trusted relationship with you, through our quality service at competitive prices. Call us today.