Experiencing signs that you may need gearbox auto transmission repair?
These are some common signs that you may need gearbox auto transmission repair. You may find your transmission seeming to slip between gears, when you are driving. This is particularly challenging when driving in our often jammed Singapore city conditions. Or you may hearing grinding sounds coming from the transmission, particularly when you are driving in neutral mode. Otherwise, it could also be that your car shows a delay in response, or an increase in the RPMs when you are shifting your gears. When you experience these signs, it is recommended to get this checked as it could be a minor problem, such as insufficient transmission fluid. However, if left on its own, this could cause other components to start to overheat and de-generate, leading to more costly repairs needed.
How it works
The auto transmission of your car serves the purpose of channeling power from your car’s engine to the wheels. It allows you to alter the power transmission ratio and hence shift gears. There are two main types of transmission – namely manual and automatic. Due to constant use whenever your car is in operation, the gearbox transmission is subject to much wear and tear. You may hence at some point require gearbox auto transmission repair or transmission replacement.
Common gearbox auto transmission issues
Some of the common gearbox transmission faults include:
- For those with computer controlled transmission, when the sensor is faulty, it is possible that the wrong signals are being sent or there is a bad connection.
- It could also be that the kick down cable has worn out. What the kick down cable does is pass on information on the RPM from the engine to the automatic transmission, hence sending out signals on when gear changes are needed. This component is made of rubber and metal, and given the intensity of use during the driving process, it is not uncommon for this to require replacement.
- Leakage of transmission fluid from seal or gaskets which had worn out.
Common gearbox auto transmission repairs needed
If the cause of the problem is small, then we could be able to resolve the issue without even having to remove your transmission:
- For instance, in the case where the sensor is damaged, as mentioned above, which leads to wrong signals being sent, the gearbox auto transmission repair can be carried out without transmission removal.
- Another consideration is whether the parts that are faulty are accessible parts.
- It could turn out to be a complete overhaul is needed if your transmission has completely failed, which we would then discuss with you the various options that could be available, such as using re-manufactured parts, to help you to keep your costs low.
The cost of gearbox repair is typically from $800 onwards, depending on the repair needed as well as car make and model.
Other possible issues - transmission leak repair
It could also be that there is a leakage of transmission fluid, which can be caused by deterioration of the gaskets and seals, or puncture of parts from loose rocks that may have hit your transmission when you were driving. This could then require a replacement of the gasket, or if this is caused by loosened bolts, a tightening of these bolts.
Have questions on our service?
After my free servicing period for my car, I thought it was time to look out for better priced alternatives. I gave ECV Car Service Singapore a call and tried out their service. It was a hassle free experience and good value. - Kenneth Chin, Buona Vista
I had a tire leak caused by a puncture after driving over some construction debris. ECV Car Service Singapore could fix this up for me so I don't need to spend on a new tire. Friendly workshop! - Mr K.T. Liew, Redhill
My car aircon was not functioning and I was not sure what the cause was. I initially brought my car to the dealer workshop and was told the compressor is down. But the price quoted for the compressor replacement was so high. I then gave ECV Car Service Singapore a call, and the price turned out to be much lower, and quality of service good. Thumbs up! - Joel Tan, Bukit Batok
At the heart of our service is to build a trusted relationship with you. When you send your car for car servicing, maintenance and repairs with us, you are assured your car is in good hands.
Our mechanics are experienced, with care for detail. We seek to delight you always, with the quality of our workmanship and good value for our services.
Our mechanics are experienced with a passion for their craft and will thoroughly check the issues with your transmission and what is behind the cause of the issues you face. We would then advise you whether you just need a transmission fluid top up or whether there is a need for gearbox auto transmission repair, as well as give you a cost quote before proceeding with the works.
Our motto is quality work, great service at competitive pricing, giving you assured good value. We look forward to being of service to you, for your car servicing, maintenance or repair needs.