Have scratches requiring touch up paint?
It is always painful but common to get little scratches from overgrown roadside shrubs or from annoying cars which parked too close to your beauty. Here is a simple guide on what you can do when you notice a scratch on your vehicle.
- Determine the extent of the scratch. Use a duct tape to cover this, as the metal sheet under the paint can get rusty when it is exposed. This is a temporary solution to avoid water from getting in contact and turning it rusty.
- Access the severity of the scratch. The depth of the scratch will determine the type of products required to re-paint your vehicle or just have some touch up paint.
- If it is a small scratch, consider the 2 options below
Scratch repair kit
A very light scratch on your car is can be touched up fairly with some handiwork. A scratch repair kit helps to remove unsightly scratched marks. Do ensure though you clean up the surface beforehand. Depending on the kit of your choice, it could be a swirl form or a filler. Give time for the newly worked surface to dry. Some buffing after the work is done would also help bring the tone of the new surface closer to that of the original.
Touch up paint
Applicable for deeper scratches, which are not sufficiently repaired with the help from the scratch repair kit. First, you would need to fine grit sandpaper to file the surface of the car. Several layers of touch paint will be needed, and time is required for it to dry in between. It is essential that light layers are applied to avoid bubbles forming, which is easy especially in our humid environment in Singapore. Once the layer is dried, light sanding will be required again to complete the process.
If the scratches are too broad and exposed, spray painting will be required rather than just touch up paint. These has to be done in an area which is free from dust and dirt. Our workshop would be able to assist you with this, for a carefully crafted job to be done and a smooth, beautiful finish.
3 tips on how to deliver the touch up
- Buy the right colour and shade of paint. Unless your vehicle is new, otherwise the colour probably would not be a perfect match. You may need to mix the colour, and test it on an area prior to applying the touch up paint on your vehicle.
- Wash the car thoroughly and make sure it is clean and rust free before you start painting, to ensure the paint will last. Prime the area with a primer to seal the bare metal surface to ensure the paint would stick. This also prevent rusts, and makes for easier application when painting on the surface.
- Use a tiny brush or toothpick to apply the primer and paint. Layer it thinly and try to focus on filling the gap and avoid painting on the unaffected area. Applying too thick on the surface may cause the paint to peel off.
Have questions on our service?
After my free servicing period for my car, I thought it was time to look out for better priced alternatives. I gave ECV Car Service Singapore a call and tried out their service. It was a hassle free experience and good value. - Kenneth Chin, Buona Vista
I had a tire leak caused by a puncture after driving over some construction debris. ECV Car Service Singapore could fix this up for me so I don't need to spend on a new tire. Friendly workshop! - Mr K.T. Liew, Redhill
My car aircon was not functioning and I was not sure what the cause was. I initially brought my car to the dealer workshop and was told the compressor is down. But the price quoted for the compressor replacement was so high. I then gave ECV Car Service Singapore a call, and the price turned out to be much lower, and quality of service good. Thumbs up! - Joel Tan, Bukit Batok
At the heart of our service is to build a trusted relationship with you. When you send your car for car servicing, maintenance and repairs with us, you are assured your car is in good hands.
Our mechanics are experienced, with care for detail. We seek to delight you always, with the quality of our workmanship and good value for our services.
Our mechanics are detailed with their handiwork, with a passion for their craft and will deliver fine work, ensuring that your car is touched up well and the surface smooth, with a beautiful finish before delivering it back to you. We can also assist you with the repairs of dents if any. We pride ourselves on our transparent service and will always give you a cost quote before proceeding with the works.
We believe in delivering quality work, great service at competitive pricing, giving you assured good value. We look forward to being of service to you, for your car servicing, maintenance or repair needs.