Headlights bulb gone out?
Have you found that one of your headlights has gone out? It is essential to have your headlights working in good condition when you are driving, to ensure safety when you drive at night. This is also required by our Road Traffic Rules in Singapore, that both the front headlights, as well as both rear lights are in working order at night. Although our streets in Singapore are well lit, the light from the headlights provide an additional illumination to improve your vision ahead, such as whether there are people crossing ahead. Furthermore, we often experience strong rains where the headlights would also come in handy. As such, for safe driving and to be in line with the law, it is essential the headlights are in good working order and to get headlight repair when this is needed.
Why my headlights have gone off
Just like the lighting bulbs at home, there is a finite lifespan to the headlight bulbs. If you have auto lights that also come on during the daytime, the bulbs will be utilised more and burn out more quickly. The headlight bulbs should typically last for about 2 years. However, if you find your headlight bulbs often blowing, it may be that its not just headlight repair that you need. Rather, this could indicate there are other issues.
Common causes of headlight bulb blowing
- Moisture could have gotten into the interior of your headlight lens. This may then get onto the surface of the light bulb and cause the blow. When you come into our workshop, we will check the surface of your headlights. If there is condensation, this a sign of such a problem and a reseal of your headlight capsule may be necessary.
- If the bulbs are not securely mounted, they could wiggle when you are driving, causing stress and damaging the light bulb.
- It could also be electrical problems that caused the need for frequent car headlight replacement. Your alternator could be having problems, delivering fluctuating voltage to your headlights and causing the blow. In such an instance, we may need to replace your alternator and also replace your headlight bulbs.
Car headlights replacement process
Typically, before the bulbs fully blow, they will first become dimmer. As such, when this happens, you may already wish to come into our workshop to get your car headlight replaced to avoid a situation of driving in partial darkness.
Depending on the make and model of your car, during this headlight repair process, our mechanics would:
- Remove the bolts around the perimeter of your headlight or the fasteners.
- The process needs to be oil free, so as to prevent “hot spots” from forming, which would cause the bulb to burn out more quickly.
- We would secure the bulb properly, and then have the headlight bolted or fastened back on.
- If you also need headlight restoration, with them fogging up after years of use, we can also do this for you.
Have questions on our service?
After my free servicing period for my car, I thought it was time to look out for better priced alternatives. I gave ECV Car Service Singapore a call and tried out their service. It was a hassle free experience and good value. - Kenneth Chin, Buona Vista
I had a tire leak caused by a puncture after driving over some construction debris. ECV Car Service Singapore could fix this up for me so I don't need to spend on a new tire. Friendly workshop! - Mr K.T. Liew, Redhill
My car aircon was not functioning and I was not sure what the cause was. I initially brought my car to the dealer workshop and was told the compressor is down. But the price quoted for the compressor replacement was so high. I then gave ECV Car Service Singapore a call, and the price turned out to be much lower, and quality of service good. Thumbs up! - Joel Tan, Bukit Batok
At the heart of our service is to build a trusted relationship with you. When you send your car for car servicing, maintenance and repairs with us, you are assured your car is in good hands.
Our mechanics are experienced, with care for detail. We seek to delight you always, with the quality of our workmanship and good value for our services.
Our skilled mechanics with their careful craftsmanship can repair your headlights and have them functioning again. They can also assist you with your headlight restoration needs. Give us a call, and we would be happy to address any questions you have and set up an appointment for us to detailedly check the issues with your headlights for you.